Musical Fidelity M1DAC - Design and Build
At the heart of the M1 DAC is a pair of Texas Instruments Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC chips in dual-differential mode, supported by their sibling SRC4392 sample-rate converter chip, which enables all digital sources to be upsampled to 24bit/192Hz.
It's a versatile design, offering coaxial, optical, balanced and USB inputs. It will lock onto any S/PDIF signal at 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz, with the front-panel display clearly showing the input frequency.
The M1 DAC boasts minimal distortion – typically less than 0.005% across the board – while its signal-to-noise ratio is uncannily low, making the M1 DAC one of the quietest DACs in the world, regardless of price. In addition, our smart data-reclocking system ensures there is virtually no audio-damaging jitter imparted to the signal.
Such an accurate, low-noise approach has not gone unnoticed. In his review for Stereophile, Sam Tellig states: "I heard a degree of low-level resolution I'd never before heard from a DAC. I think this may have had to do with the M1's astonishingly low noise floor: an absence of hash, of electronic grunge, of anything that compromised purity or sweetness of tone".
The M1 DAC offers a choice of outputs: stereo balanced or RCA connections.
Completing the stunning specification is a high-quality power supply, complete with choke filtration on the mains input – effectively a mains-signal conditioner that purifies the performance further still.
M1DAC - Specifications
- Jitter: <12 picoseconds peak to peak
- THD(+ noise): <0.0025% 10Hz to 20 kHz
- Frequency Response: +0, –1dB, 5Hz to 100 kHz
- 1x XLR AES balanced digital input
- 1x RCA coaxial connector SPDIF 32-192 kbps (16-24 bit stereo PCM)
- 1x TOSLINK optical connector 32-96 kbps (16-24 bit stereo PCM)
- 1x USB type ‘B’ connector for computer/PDA - 16-24 bits, 32-96 kbps (Determined by source file/computer settings)
- 1x line level RCA (phono)
- 1x line level XLR (balanced)
- Dimensions - WxHxD (mm): 220 x 100 x 300
- Weight (unpacked / packed): 3.4 kg / 4.1 kg